Travelling with pets
If you are bringing pets to Panama, be sure to follow the following steps:
I. REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY OF SMALL PETS TO PANAMA:
1. You will be asked upon arrival at Tocumen Airport for a Certificate of Good Health of Exportation for Small Animals issued by the Sanitary Authority from the country of origin.
Within the United States, you will be able to get this Certificate of Good Health at the U.S. Department of Agriculture( U.S.D.A.)
2. This form has to be certified by an official U.S.D.A. Veterinary and the pet's veterinary.
This certificate can be found under Pet Travel on the U.S.D.A. webpage or at the following link: "https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettravel-panama"
3. After you get the certificate with the two signatures send it to a Panamanian Consulate for the authentication.
Please send the documents to our permanent address:
CONSULATE OF PANAMA
2862 McGill Terrace, NW
Washington, D.C. 20008
4. The Consular Fee is $30.00 per document, payable by money order made out to the Consulate of Panama.
5. You must include a Self-addressed prepaid envelope for return of documents, please write in clear print "TRAVELING WITH PET" on the outside of the envelope.
NOTE: Make sure to check with your airline for further information regarding airline guidelines when you are traveling with pets. Be aware that the airlines require a U.S.D.A. Ceritificate valid for at least 10 days from the day it was issued.
II. PROCEEDINGS OF THE PAPERWORK FOR HOME QUARANTINE TO GIVE UPON ARRIVAL IN PANAMA
1. Fill out the form "Home Quarantine Request" (click to download)
2. Upon arrival at the Tocumen Airport, all documents previously mentioned have to be given to the Veterinary Doctor of the Department of Zoonosis Control, who will verify the same.
3. If the owner fulfills all requirements, the animal(s) will be given back to its owner. If the requirements are not fulfilled, the pet will be send back to the country of origin using the same airline in which the pet arrived.
4. The fee for the Home Quarantine is B/.130.00ºº per animal paid only in cash at Tocumen Airport.
NOTE: Fax the completed “Home Quarantine Request" form to (507) 238-3855 / (507) 238-4059 or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. This form must be sent to the Ministry of Health authorities three (03) days prior to your arrival in Panama.
Take note of the following ministry working hours in the Tocumen International Airport in Panama:
• Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm
• Offices are closed on weekends and holidays.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ADMINISTERED BY THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH IN PANAMA PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENT (CLICK TO DOWNLOAD: Información de Introducción de Animales Menores )